At home, this has become known as ‘Our Favourite Fish’ and is eaten regularly! The beauty of the recipe is its simplicity. It can be put together in around 10 minutes maximum, using easily found storecupboard items and any white fish, either fresh or straight from the freezer. Popped into a pre-heated oven is ready in no time (almost). We like a mild onion flavour so I use just a small amount of chopped onion or chopped Spring Onions if available.
This recipe is based on one for ‘Haddock & Tomatoes’ that I found in one of my favourite sources, The Complete Farmhouse Kitchen Cookbook. You can use any white fish, fresh or frozen – I often use Pollack which has recently arrived in the UK and is a good substitute for the overfished Cod or Haddock. It has a crisp cheese topping.
Simple Cheese & Tomato Topped Baked Fish
1lb (450g) white fish fillets – 1 piece per person
Salt & Black Pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
2/3 small Spring Onions or 2/3 tsp red or white onion, finely chopped
4 small cherry tomatoes or 2/3 slices small tomato
4 tbsp grated cheese
4 tbsp breadcrumbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 180oC/350oF/Gas 4.
2. Place the fish in an oven dish. (If not frozen then wipe and trim fillets.)
3. Evenly season pieces with salt & pepper and sprinkle with lemon juice.
4. Scatter chopped onion and sliced tomato on top.
5. Top with a layer of grated cheese and then breadcrumbs.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden.
7. Serve with oven chips (which can be cooked in the oven at the same time as the fish – cut cooking time as oven will be at a higher temperature) or potato and a green vegetable.